McWire Cartesian Bot ~ B&Q UK version
I found that many of the parts required for Zacks build are not that easy to source in the UK.
Despite the recent drop in the pound to US dollar exchange rate the electronics kits and roller bearings are still cheaper from the RRRF store than getting bare boards from RRRF and the components from Farnel or RS. I know this from experience with my first set for Repstrap Bertha where I used the bare boards.
Roller bearings are around £8 for 8 from any good sports shop. They tend to have plastic covering the ball race. The RRRF price is $3 for 8 they are all metal and seem to spin easier. I used both and prefer the ones from the RRRF.
I started the project using copper pipe which I soon replaced with the B&Q replacement for 2"x1" wood.
What do you need
Tools you will need the following
- Drill press, Cord less Drill or power Drill
- Hand Saw
- A vice
- Sandpaper: rough, medium, and fine
So here is my B&Q based version of the parts list or raw materials.
- One piece of 2.1 m of 44 x 18 mm planed smoth soft wood, B&Q Bar Code 5014957045491
- 1 sheet of 6mm MDF Board (L)1220 x (W)607 x (T)6mm B&Q Bar Code 5022652550011
- 1 sheet of 18mm MDF Board (L)1220 x (W)607 x (T)18mm B&Q Bar Code 5022652550127
- 1 Aluminium Round Tube (L) 1000mm x (Dia) 8mm B&Q Bar Code 3232630604052
- 1 Aluminium Angle (L) 2000mm (W) 35mm (H) 35mm (T) 1.5 mm B&Q Bar Code 3232630508251
- 1 Aluminium U (L) 2000mm (W) 15mm (H) 15 mm B&Q Bar Code 3232630508503
This post is still a work in progress to be continued in April
I have two Bathrooms to re-fit in April as well .... watch this space ;-)